SANGRE DE GRADO Overview Information
Sangre de Grado is a tree that grows in the Amazon region of South America. The tree bark and sap are used to make medicine.
Sangre de Grado or SP-303, one of the chemicals it contains, is used for diarrhea associated with cholera, AIDS, traveling, or treatment with antibiotics. Sangre de Grado is also used for treating cancer, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), viral respiratory infections, fever, hemorrhage, bleeding gums, wounds, broken bones, vaginal infections, hemorrhoids, a skin condition called eczema, and insect bites and stings. Other uses include treating ulcers of the mouth, throat, stomach, or intestine; supporting the body's tissue repair mechanisms; and as a general tonic.
Some people apply Sangre de Grado or SP-303 directly to the skin for treating herpes simplex virus (types 1 and 2). Some women use it for flushing the vagina before childbirth.
How does it work?
Sangre de Grado appears to help diarrhea by slowing down the intestines. It might also prevent the movement of some viruses into cells.
Possibly Effective for:
- AIDS-related diarrhea. Some research shows that taking the chemical SP-303 (SB-Normal Stool Formula, ShamanBotanicals.com), which is isolated from Sangre de Grado, seems to reduce diarrhea in people with AIDS-related diarrhea.
- Herpes outbreaks (genital and anal). Research suggests that applying the chemical SP-303, which is isolated from Sangre de Grado, directly to the skin is effective for treating genital and anal herpes simplex outbreaks in people with AIDS. However, it does not seem to be helpful for herpes outbreaks that do not respond to acyclovir, a drug used to treat herpes infections.
- Traveler's diarrhea. Research shows that taking the chemical SP-303, which is isolated from Sangre de Grado, by mouth seems to be effective for treating symptoms of traveler's diarrhea.
- Insect bites and stings. Early research suggests that applying Sangre de Grado to the skin relieves the symptoms of insect bites (fire ants, wasps, bees) and reactions to plants in a group of pest control workers.
- Treating allergic skin reactions.
- Cancer treatment.
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Lung infections.
- Mouth and throat ulcers.
- Stomach and intestinal ulcers.
- Bleeding gums.
- Bone fractures.
- A skin condition called eczema.
- Other conditions.
SANGRE DE GRADO Side Effects & Safety
It is POSSIBLY SAFE to apply SP-303, a chemical isolated from Sangre de Grado, directly to the skin or to take SP-303 by mouth. There is not enough information available to know if Sangre de Grado itself is safe to take for medical conditions.
Special Precautions & Warnings:Pregnancy and breast-feeding: There is not enough reliable information about the safety of taking Sangre de Grado if you are pregnant or breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.
A type of blood cancer called leukemia: Sangre de Grado might make this condition worse. Avoid using Sangre de Grado if you have leukemia.
SANGRE DE GRADO Dosing
The following doses have been studied in scientific research:
- For treating AIDS-related diarrhea: a Sangre de Grado extract containing 500 mg of SP-303 (SB-Normal Stool Formula) every 6 hours.
- For treating traveler's diarrhea: a Sangre de Grado extract containing 125-500 mg SP-303 (SB-Normal Stool Formula) 4 times daily for 2 days.