Vaginal Itching, Burning, and Irritation
Are there home remedies for vaginal itching, burning, and irritation?
Here are a few tips for preventing and treating vaginal irritation at home:
- Avoid scented pads or toilet paper, creams, bubble bath, feminine sprays, and douches.
- Use water and a plain, unscented soap to regularly clean your genital area. But don't wash more than once a day. Doing so can increase dryness.
- Always wipe from front to back after having a bowel movement.
- Wear cotton panties (no synthetic fabrics), and change your underwear every day.
- Change the diapers of infant girls regularly.
- Use condoms during sexual intercourse to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.
- If you are experiencing vaginal dryness, use a vaginal moisturizer. Apply a water-based lubricant (K-Y, Astroglide) before having sex.
- Avoid sexual intercourse until your symptoms improve.
- Don't scratch -- you can further irritate the area.