What is toxic shock syndrome?
Toxic shock syndrome
(TSS) is a rare illness that happens suddenly after an infection. It quickly
can harm several different organs, including the
lungs , the
kidneys , and the
liver , and it can be deadly. Since toxic shock
syndrome gets worse quickly, it requires medical treatment right away.
What causes toxic shock syndrome?
caused by strep or staph bacteria can lead to toxic shock syndrome. These
bacteria are common and usually don't cause problems. But in rare cases, the toxins enter the bloodstream
and cause a severe
immune reaction. This reaction causes the symptoms of
- Toxic shock syndrome caused by strep most often occurs
after childbirth, the flu (influenza),
chickenpox, surgery, minor skin cuts or wounds, or
injuries that cause bruising but may not break the skin.
- Toxic shock syndrome caused by staph most often occurs after a tampon is kept in too long
(menstrual TSS) or after surgery (nonmenstrual TSS).
If you have had TSS, you are more likely to get it again.1, 2
What are the symptoms?
Toxic shock symptoms get
worse quickly and can be deadly within 2 days. Symptoms include:
- Sudden fever over
- Signs of shock, including low blood pressure and rapid
heartbeat; nausea; vomiting; or fainting or feeling lightheaded, restless, or
- A rash that looks like a sunburn. The rash can be on
several areas of your body or just in certain places, such as the armpits or
- Severe pain in an infected wound or injury.
Other TSS symptoms may include:
- Severe flu-like symptoms, such as muscle
aches and pains, stomach cramps, a headache, or a sore
- Redness inside the nose and mouth.
- Pinkeye (conjunctivitis).
- Scaling, peeling skin, especially on the palms of the
hands and soles of the feet.
Having sudden, severe symptoms
is one of the most important clues that you may have toxic shock syndrome. If you think you have TSS, get medical care right away.
How is toxic shock syndrome diagnosed?
Doctors usually diagnose toxic shock syndrome based on your symptoms. Tests can help show
whether staph or strep bacteria are causing the infection. Tests
you may need include:
How is it treated?
Treatment for toxic shock syndrome almost always takes place in a hospital. Treatment includes:
- Removing the source of the infection or cleaning
- Treating complications, such as shock or liver, kidney, and lung failure.
- Using antibiotics and other medicines to fight the infection.